The new building under construction at Mark Day School will transform how students, teachers, and visitors experience our campus from the moment they arrive at our front door to how we use every square foot for creative teaching and learning. The three critical pieces that comprise this project include:
- A new Creativity Lab that gives our students and faculty the space they need for hands-on projects
- A new Learning Commons that reimagines what a school library can be
- Redesigning our amphitheater and quad, the heart of our school and school community
Construction began on April 6, 2016. This web page is the home for the latest news, traffic instructions, and contact information if you have concerns or questions.
Spring 2017 Construction Update:
1. STEEL STRUCTURE: Steel installation is almost complete, with the crews placing the main roof beams into place in early April. The final steps include installing the frames for the clerestory windows that will fill the second floor with natural light, setting in the roof beams for the second floor balcony, and welding every joint.
2. WOOD FRAMING: Crews framed the first floor exterior walls while work to pour the second floor concrete was ongoing. Now that the second floor concrete has cured, all of the temporary scaffolding supporting the second floor has been removed and the interior walls of the first floor are being installed. The framers will proceed upstairs to the second floor as the first floor is completed.
3. ELECTRICAL AND MECHANICAL: Thousands of feet of electrical conduit was put into place in advance of the concrete being poured on the second floor. That work continues, and the electricians will be joined by plumbers and sheet metal workers as high-efficiency systems are installed throughout the Learning Commons and Creativity Lab..
4. SECOND STORY STEEL/CONCRETE FLOOR : The concrete-on-steel floor was completed as of late March.
5. FACULTY AND STAFF WORKROOM: Work has begun to transform the old library into a faculty/staff workroom and kitchen. Work began over the February break, and the main areas will be complete in late April/early May.
Construction and traffic route details:
- The City of San Rafael establishes routes for construction traffic and sets construction hours. For this project, the city has determined that construction traffic will arrive via Freitas Parkway, left onto Las Gallinas, right onto Nova Albion, right onto Montebello, and right onto Trellis Drive, departing via the same route.
- Construction hours are also set by the City of San Rafael.
- All grading and construction activities shall be limited to 8:00am to 6:00pm Monday through Friday.
- Low noise construction, occurring entirely inside the building, may be permissible beyond the days/hours of operation by prior approval of the planning division and only after the building is completely enclosed (walls, roof, windows, and doors).
- All off-haul excavation materials are delivery/pick up of construction equipment shall occur during off-peak weekday traffic trip hours, between 9:00am and 4:00pm Monday through Friday only.
- During the period of construction, we will post a crossing guard at the corner of Arias Drive and Trellis Drive on school days during the morning and afternoon student drop-off and pick-up times.
If you have any questions or concerns specific to the construction crew, please contact:
Project Manager Doug Marshall: (717) 528-1172, firstname.lastname@example.org
Superintendent John Cooper: email@example.com
Equity Community Builders
Project Manager Ted Lieser: (415) 272-3847, firstname.lastname@example.org
Summer 2015: Mobilization (Trailers, Disconnect Utilities) (Completed)
December 2015/February 2016: Hazmat Abatement--(Completed)
April 2016: Demolition (Completed)
May 2016: Site Work - Grading, Utilities, Building Pad Prep
May-July 2016: Foundation (Completed)
August 2016 - April 2017: Building Structure (Steel)
January - May 2017: Exterior Work (Walls, Windows)
January - Early Fall 2017: Interior Work (MEP, Framing, Drywall, Finishes)
April -Early Fall 2017: Site Work (Amphitheater, Landscape, Hardscape)
Early Fall 2017: Completion/Move in